Sunday, March 4, 2012

Extra! Extra! Tweet All About It!




It was a regular old Tuesday on campus. Nothing particular. I found myself rushing much more than normal in between classes when I was stopped by someone who seemed to recognize me more than I could them. "I know you from somewhere!" they told me excited and looked a bit confused. Then a light bulb came to that person, "You're ashersz!" I smiled finally realizing who it was, "I follow you on twitter. It's me *******!" Just like that my Twitter name became my other identity. 
If any person looks on my profile they can see I have 60,000 tweets with 903 followers, which plainly states that I tweet a lot. Which is more than true. I tweet my thoughts no matter how random or foolish they may be. I tweet what I see from something as beautiful as a rose to something atrocious as a too tight bikini on a rather obese woman. Twitter became my "diary". I don't pour my heart out to twitter especially not with 903 people reading my tweets but I sure do share things of interest to me and the masses that I encounter.
Has twitter made me more social or has this social networking site done the opposite? I have made a lot of new acquaintance thanks to twitter as well as new friends. Even now there are a vast amount of people on twitter tweeting about spring break rather than putting their phones down to enjoy it. We have been so consumed by our social networking site that we lost what it meant to truly be social. What will life be like 10 years from now?

Social Media is so accessible that we can access it virtually anywhere. We disconnect from reality only to connect to these mediums. I'm not saying social media or networking is bad, far from that, I'm simply stating how times have caused us to communicate differently. Social networking is fine in moderation but to live your life through these means is too much and will make society lose what it is to really communicate with one another. Even today most of the news I hear about is through twitter whether it be national news or just random celebrity gossip. 

How much do you tweet a day? What do you tweet about? Who do you follow? When you factor all these things in you start to realize how this new found social networking tool is vastly growing and how it has impacted our generation and society all together.

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoy all the titles of your blogs. Their very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 60,000 tweets that seem like a lot. Is being recognized by your alias a new thing or does it happen often. Because you are such an avid tweeter are there areas of social media that you are less experienced with? For example I do not tweet, but I have Facebook under control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get referred to my alias a lot more than my actual name. Some people end up meeting me through twitter so it sticks. I'm pretty good with social media so far I have a twitter, facebook, tumblr and instagram but I tend to focus more on twitter and instagram

      Delete
  3. Good for you for being so connected to Twitter. I wish I had enough to say. That being said, yes, I think social media is taking over the world. Back in the day, video games were (and still are) taking over the lives of children, preventing them from playing outside. Today, video games have been replaced with social networking. Tweeting throughout the day and updating facebook statuses is what the world is coming to, but when is it too much??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't personally use my twitter account but all my friends do. And I feel as though social media is taking over the world. People are constantly on their phones tweeting or on Facebook. They are so busy doing that they, they aren't enjoying life in the here and now. I actually get frustrated with my friends if they are hanging out with me and they are constantly on their phones. I have created a rule that whenever I am at dinner with all of my friends no one is allowed to use their phones as well as if they are at my apartment. I have made a phone basket that has a label on it that says "Be with the friends who are here". I don't want to miss out on quality time with my friends because they are too busy stalking people on the internet or tweeting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Kels. We have a strict rule in our house, no texting at the dinner table or if someone is trying to have a conversation with you. I like what the label says on the basket. I may have to try that here and put my son's PS3 controllers in there!

    ReplyDelete