Friday, March 9, 2012

It's All Politics Part Deux


I spoke before about how Social Media can cause us to disconnect from face-to-face socialization and how it can cause widespread protests. Social media can play a good hand in most aspects of society and that especially of politics. Think throughout the years about how much of a role social media plays in elections and see just what I mean.

Facebook played a huge role for the 2008 elections and especially for me with that being my first time voting in the elections. During that campaign I had the honor of being in Times Square to see a multitude of celebrities in the “Barack The Vote” shirts and their signs and such. Sure this is not social media but those shirts played a big role on Facebook and the dying days of Myspace.

You could not avoid the constant status updates that read “Barack The Vote” or sometimes the ever so ignorant, “My President is Black and my Lambo is blue” based off of a song by Young Jeezy at that time. If any candidate wanted a good lead they would need to target my age group and of course elders the only two groups that vote at large.

Social media allowed many people to come up with catchy sayings and spread it fast such like Obama’s HOPE picture that eventually started a new trend with my peers. Obama became relatable and soon well identified by my peers especially when he spoke amongst college students. Soon as one word about changing the interest rates of student loans leaked out it soon spread fast throughout all social mediums making its way to us who wish nothing more but to be rid of student loans for the future.
Now in current elections, we find ourselves much more involved in politics. I steadily follow the Republican Primaries trying to see if we do have a good opponent to go up against Obama himself. I have seen some of my peers talk about voting republic now (even those who were strong democrats in the 2008 elections). With twitter we can get access to information from all sides faster than we could facebook with just a click of a retweet button.  

In the next election, I’m sure social media will have a larger role and play in our politics. I’m pretty sure larger scale of propaganda will find its way on twitter. Let’s see how the 2016 elections make that all happen.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that social media helps us express our political voices. On Facebook, we're even asked out political affiliation in the About Me/Info section.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Politicians talk about pushing us through college faster. I laugh. My college education this semester is a waste of money aside from the fact that I am one semester closer to graduate with a degree that employers want to see. My capstone class teaches me nothing. I want a president who will make the education system focus on teaching students and not taking their money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Social media has definitely allowed for a greater expression of not only our political views, but our worldly views as well. The education system is in a declining state as the school system is more focused on ways to make more money rather than improving the value of the education.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Information does spread like wildfire because of social media. I am also interested to see what role social media will play in upcoming elections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You bring an important aspect about socialization and the way how world is running today. I think that one of the effective strategies used by President Obama was the social media. The President interacted directly with many social users online; this tool helped him to express his ideas and political interest. I see now, in many countries where the candidates are using the social media to address many ideas with the electorate. New technologies have many alternatives to increase the socialization and media communication around the world.

    ReplyDelete