
You've heard about it. We've all pretty much heard about it. Occupy Wall Street Movement. I was oblivious at first until one day on twitter. I follow a few celebrities not many but one in particular was filling my timeline with the trend #OccupyWallStreet by none other but my favorite hip hop artist Lupe Fiasco. So, being the fan that I am clicked the hashtag thinking it to be a new mixtape or project he was working on. To my surprise I saw a movement growing from people all over the United States.
Lupe stated, “I plan on supporting the #Occupy movement from now forward in whatever capacity I can,” he said. “In the short term I plan on giving my total focus to both #OccupyChicago and #OccupyLA but I am making myself available to any and all #Occupy movements no matter the size or circumstance. I hope the #Occupy movement becomes institutional and a permanent fixture of the social and political landscape of America. God willing.” His strong passion for this movement has spread to his fan base as well as through social networking sites.
Occupy Wall Street is a movement or better yet a protest in opposition of banks and wall street, who they blame for economic recessions of now and the past, as well as against the 1% who make the laws which benefit themselves yet hurt the remaining 99%. The movement itself spread fast with the help of social networking sites. Without these sites or outlets the movement wouldn't have spread as fast as it did. With twitter we seem to be a lot closer to those involved especially celebrities with a high level of influence with our generation (who most of the occupiers are). Could the Occupy Movement be an eye opener for the government? I'm pretty sure right now there is some higher up in government trying to pass another bill to stop social networking or at least control (Hello SOPA!)
The Occupiers have showed the United States and the world just how strong of a potential social media has and the power it has as well. Imagine a possible larger revolution caused by social media. Hopefully we will never have to go to those extremes but now spreading the word allows it all to take place quicker than before. Who knows what the future lies. Will Big Brother be watching?
Have the protestors accomplished anything with the Occupy movement? I have heard about how big the movement has become, but I have not heard any results.
ReplyDeleteMy whole feeling on the movement is negative right now. I feel like they did great job getting people to unite for the movement but now it is left in a limbo with no looks of further progress.
DeleteI think the main issue with the occupy movement is that they began to raise awareness - and did a wonderful job uniting people for a cause - but failed to offer any sort of solution. In addition, there were never really any official vision statements or ideas about where the movement should go. Essentially it boiled down to giving it to the government to fix - which may or may not be the best solution, especially when you had so many people involved that probably could have found alternative solutions for the government.
ReplyDelete